Empowering younger stroke survivors, their families and friends to reclaim their lives and ambitions through active support
Have you done your Different Strokes One Arm Challenge yet?
On World Stroke Day 29 October 2014 Different Strokes has launched the One Arm Challenge. We are asking all our friends and supporters to post their one arm achievements on our Facebook page and to nominate their friends and family to do the same. Please help raise awareness of stroke and the Different Strokes charity. Our 'open' Facebook page can be found at https://www.facebook.com/supportersofdifferentstrokes. Help spread the word about how stroke can affect younger survivors. Please use this page to encourage your friends and family to do the challenge and to post your videos here.
Step by step guide to uploading a video to Facebook
We hope you go let everyone see how you got on with our one arm challenge. At Different Strokes we’d like to point out that stroke can affect survivors in many ways other than just one-sided weakness, including many emotional, cognitive and behavioural changes but we’ve chosen just one topic to help raise awareness of a major problem that survivors have to face on a daily basis.
Once you have been nominated, you can either be creative as you want or choose from our suggested list.
- Putting on a bra
- Peeling an orange
- Butter toast
- Open a bottle
- Open a jar
- One arm press up
- Wrap a present
Get someone to film you doing the task, and then upload it to Facebook on your page or in our general page by clicking the Photo/Video link directly next to where you'd type your status (where is usually says 'what youave you been up to?' or something similar) on
We want you to get creative and see what tasks you can do using one arm. Also please try to keep your videos to between 60 and 90 seconds. If you don’t they’ll take way too long to post (believe us, we’ve learned that the hard way!)
We've actually found it much easier to post videos directly from our mobile phones and we hope these instructions help you to manage it.
- Tap photo icon at the bottom of your News Feed or at the top of your Timeline
- Choose the video you want to upload or tap the video camera icon at the top right to take a new video
- Tap Done
- If you want, you can:Tap Post
- Tag friends
- Add how you're feeling or what you're doing/title in this case “This is my #diffstrokesonearmchallange. I nominate (Enter who you want to nominate here - by typing their name EXACTLY as it appears in Facebook and by the first letter of their surname they should be available to choose from a drop-down menu) - and don’t forget to donate by texting DIFF33 £3 to 70070
- Add a location
Your video will need to be processed before others can see it on Facebook. When it's ready to view, you'll get a notification and be asked to process it.
- Tap Photo at the top of your News Feed or Share Photo at the top of your Timeline
- Choose the videos you want to upload or tap the camera icon at the top left to take a new video
- Tap Done
- If you want, you can:
- Tap Post (and again the video will need to be processed before the video is visible.
Different Strokes now has a You Tube channel. We will also be uploading our one arm challenges here. So subsacribe to our channel, to watch our one arm challenges. Here is a link to our You Tube channel please subscribre: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXprTBJ8LzatxG-VrGhth9w
Feedback on our Information
We would be really grateful if you could fill out a short survey and share your views if you have used one of our services: